Kent and Medway Partnership Trust
H5. Smoking Cessation/Respiratory Health
5 March, 2015
Submitted: 5 March, 2015
H5 Smoking Cessation / Respiratory Health
Trust premises and grounds are non-smoking areas and the Trust has a Tobacco and Smoke Free Policy for staff. Preparations are currently being made to have smoke free in- patient wards with effect from 1st April 2015 in accordance with the Government Public guidance on smoking cessation within Mental Health (NICE 2013).
The Trust wide Stop Smoking Group advises on the Smoke Free Agenda within the Trust alongside the work being undertaken to minimise the risk to Patients/Staff/Visitors. The group is also responsible for the specific functions listed below:
• Monitor and review the Trust Policies
• To review smoking pathways
• To implement the requirements of NICE guidance
• To work with service lines offering the appropriate help and advice
• Identifying and sharing good/best practice throughout the organisation
• To support and monitor the implementation of National Policies
The Trust has a health and wellbeing section on the intranet and information is available with regard to the Kent Stop Smoking Service and the Medway Stop Smoking service. Useful links are also provided including smoke free resources for mental health professionals, a referral form for staff, relatives and patients. Level 1 and level 2 training is available for staff who want to help patients to stop smoking.
The Trust Tobacco and Smoke Free Policy is reviewed regularly and amended to take into account changes in legislation and good practise.