Greater Manchester West Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
H7. Mental Health and Wellbeing
15 December, 2014
Submitted: 15 December, 2014
We aim to create an environment where anyone with past or present experience of mental health issues is valued, respected and able to flourish.
To do this we will provide all staff with the environment, knowledge and tools to develop and maintain emotional resilience and mental wellbeing, while raising awareness of, and providing support for, mental health in the workplace.
We will achieve this by:
• Encouraging all members of staff to consider the impact of their behaviours and decisions on the wellbeing of themselves and those they work with, manage and have a duty of care for. This will include creating and sustaining an organisational culture where the risks from work-related stress are being effectively managed and controlled.
• Provide specific training for line managers to promote mental wellbeing and resilience. Identify early opportunities to support staff with mental health needs. This will include raising awareness amongst staff, e.g. materials promoting self-awareness, guidance on disclosure of mental ill health, how to identify early signs and symptoms and practical issues such as positive recruitment practices and managing disclosure.
• Providing opportunities for employees to support and develop their overall wellbeing by taking a holistic approach to a healthier life, covering nutritional awareness, physical activity and social engagement.
• Taking a demonstrable and positive stand against mental health stigma and discrimination in the workplace, for example by supporting the “Time to Change” movement.
• Embedding the principles of the Mental Health Workplace Adjustments Guide (developed through the Responsibility Deal’s health at work network) within HR procedures to ensure that people experiencing mental ill health are managed at work in the best way possible with reasonable flexibilities and workplace adjustments.
• Continue to maintain our commitment to being a MINDFUL EMPLOYER.