George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust
H1. Chronic Conditions Guide and Carers
28 February, 2014
Submitted: 28 February, 2014
The Trust has an Attendance Management Policy that requires an early discussion between the line manager and member of staff in cases of ill health. Where this discussion results in the identification of an underlying health condition, the policy requires referral to a Consultant led shared occupational health service. The Trust receives suggested adjustments from the OH service, treating clinicians and individuals themselves which it will seek to implement in support of individuals. We have incorporated the employer and employee guide into our manager training in relation to sickness absence.
Over the last year in support of individuals with chronic and/or mental health conditions the Trust has:
• Purchased equipment enabling staff to remain in the workplace where otherwise they would not;
• Redeployed staff to a job that takes account of their condition;
• Encouraged flexible working;
• Identified and taken action to mitigate stressors in the workplace;
• Allowed staff to benefit from phased returns to work without loss of pay;
• Implemented a revised service for psychological support, led by clinical psychology;
• Undertaken pro-active work within departments to identify areas where levels of stress and/or resilience are not what the Trust would wish and taken action to address;
• Provided staff with general lifestyle and health advice through wellbeing days and Making Every Contact Count Training.