HM Revenue & Customs
H7. Mental Health and Wellbeing
4 March, 2013
Submitted: 22 April, 2013
HMRC HR Guidance and further sources of information to facilitate effective management of mental health issues in the workplace can be viewed by all employees on the department’s intranet.
1. Stress Management
2. Stress Tool to identifying team stressors and develop an action plan to include control measures.
3. Disability Adjustment Leave.
4. Alternative Working Patterns.
5. Reasonable Adjustments in the workplace including; increase in number of breaks, reduction in workload / targets, change of duties.
6. Creating a Reasonable Adjustment Passport. This form is completed when reasonable adjustments have been agreed with the manager and implemented under the Equality Act 2010 and in Northern Ireland the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA).
7. A dedicated intranet page detailing information and resources to help people with mental health issues.
8. Diversity Toolkit with a section specifically on mental health issues.
In addition to this HMRC supply access to third party service providers;
Occupational Health Provider:
Managers can seek advice on the employee’s mental health condition, how this impacts on the individual and their ability to effectively deploy their work duties. Advice ensures managers are in the best position to make an informed decision on how to support the individual’s needs to help them sustain effective service.
Employee Assistance Programme:
Service provision includes;
1. 24/7 helpline,
2. Personal counselling.
3. Comprehensive website with dedicated ‘Health and Life’ pages covering topics such as, Looking after Your Mental Health, Stress, Lifestyle & Wellbeing.
4 A dedicated support line for managers offering information on how to deal with difficult people issues.
5. Workshops for managers on Stress Management & Resilience and Mental Health Issues in the Workplace.
HMRC have a dedicated in-house advice service available to all managers dealing with complex people issues which amongst other topics, includes managing people with mental health issues. The Managers’ Advice Service, Reasonable Adjustments Support Team and the Occupational Health, Safety and Wellbeing team all work towards coaching managers who are presented with these difficult issues.
HMRC maintain a Health and Wellbeing intranet site which includes links to other useful sources, for example Access to Work. Regular ‘hot topics’ are published on the intranet site giving useful information about different health matters, including mental health.
Managers have access to online learning products on stress management and mental health, raising awareness and uplifting their confidence and capability when managing these issues in the workplace. Online learning modules are available to staff, raising their awareness and encouraging a proactive approach to self management.
1. HMRC will be working closely with their Occupational Health and Employee Assistance Programme providers to identify and establish a protocol for closer working when providing longer term support for individuals managing their mental health condition.
2. Continue to raise awareness of mental health issues through intranet news items, and supporting health campaigns connected to mental health.
3. Support 2013 National Mental Health Awareness week, publishing articles each day on intranet news.
4. Develop robust guidance on managing Mental Health issues.