Mental Health First Aid England CIC
H8. Young People in the Workplace
19 March, 2013
Submitted: 2 April, 2013
Mental Health First Aid (CIC)MHFA England launched the Youth Mental Health First Aid course in 2010 specifically for people who teach, work with, live with or care for young people aged 11 - 18.
The Youth MHFA course teaches delegates how to:
• Spot the early signs of a mental health problem in young people
• Feel confident helping a young person experiencing a problem
• Provide help on a first aid basis
• Help protect a young person who might be at risk of harm
• Help prevent a mental health illness from getting worse
• Help a young person recover faster
• Guide a young person towards the right support
• Reduce the stigma of mental health problems
MHFA England are currently delivering the Youth MHFA course to 15 schools and sports clubs in the North East of England. The course helps those who are in contact with young people to encourage them to take responsibility for their own health and wellbeing, with various practical tools that help assist good mental health as they are or are soon to be making the transition into the workplace.
These organisations will also make a similar commitment for their own staff - as part of their Responsibility Deal pledge.