← Return to partner profile
H4. Healthier Staff Restaurants
1 January, 2013
Submitted: 3 June, 2015
Please decribe how you and your caterers have encouraged healthier restaurants/vending outlet/buffets (as applicable) for your staff over the last year. There is a 2000-character limit when completing this section.
Throughout our staff restaurants we fully embrace health & eating trends & adopt current approaches to nutrition, well-being and lifestyle to help our employees make informed choices.
Our catering provider is committed to ensuring the dishes served within our staff restaurants are nutritionally balanced; they work in partnership with our Co-operative Food team on site to promote Healthy eating initiatives: they educate their own employees about Health & Wellbeing so they can share their knowledge with the customers they serve, our employees.
Listed below are examples carried out by our catering providers over the last 12 months demonstrate the commitment to Health & Wellbeing
Working with their supply chain to
- reduce levels of salt, sugar and saturated fat in products and recipes
- monitor hydrogenated vegetable oils, artificial additives and preservatives and eliminate from products where possible. The amount of hydrogenated vegetable oils has reduced by 72%.
- reduce sodium levels of added value meat products within the specified criteria and fat levels to less than 10g in every 100g.
- removed monosodium glutamate from all manufactured products served
- No genetically modified ingredients or mechanically recovered meats are permitted in any of the products
- changed the standard cooking oil to the healthier Rapeseed oil
Within staff restaurants we have
Health & Wellbeing Boards - The leaflets cover each food group and other information 10 Top Tips to encourage eating a balanced diet, cutting down on salt, sugar and fat, and being active
Featured Health days to promote an active and healthy workplace & have a dedicated a hot counter to provide a "Healthier Dish of the Day"
Reducing salt by:
- Using lower salt versions of margarine spread
- Reducing the size of the salt sachets to assist the customer to reduce their salt intake
- Ensuring all Chefs are "Salt Aware" & actively reduce the salt in dishes they prepare along with using creative solutions to replace salt with other ingredients.
Comments are closed.
Find out how you can use the Change4Life brand