← Return to partner profile
A4. Tackling Under-Age Alcohol Sales
1 January, 2013
Submitted: 27 April, 2015
Please describe your work to reduce and prevent under-age sales of alcohol, over the last year (2000 characters limit):
We have continued our support for Community Alcohol Partnerships with a further donation of £30,000 in 2014/2015. A total of 32 new Community Alcohol Partnerships (CAPs) were launched during the period April 2014 – March 2015 including 9 new CAPs in Local Alcohol Action Areas (LAAAs) - bringing to 12 total number of CAPs in LAAAs and 84 the total number of CAPs set up to date across the UK. Of these a total of 65 are active or in “maintenance” mode though the true number of communities with an active CAP is actually higher as many CAPs comprise multiple areas/towns.
We also fund (£50,000) 'Collingwood Learning', an organisation which runs a 'Theatre in Education' schools tour which delivers a play and workshop, raising awareness of the risks of alcohol and alcohol misuse. Diageo has sponsored the programme for the past 11 years and during this time the programme has reached over 245,000 young people across 1,880 schools in England and Wales. In 2014/15 Smashed visited 78 schools, reaching over 19,500 young people. This year for the first time, a pre and post workshop survey was conducted with students on their attitudes to alcohol, with results as follows:
• Students who felt they knew a lot about the dangers of alcohol misuse increased by 39%
• Students were better able to describe the impact of alcohol misuse in areas such as health (physical and emotional), social lives, family and life chances
• Students who knew the legal age for buying alcohol increased from 72% to 95%
• Students who understand the term peer pressure increased by 18%
• Students were better able to describe strategies for resisting peer pressure around alcohol
• Students who knew who to go to for help over alcohol issues increased by 34%
• 96% of teachers felt the programme was appropriate to the age group
• 100% of teachers enjoyed the performance and workshop
• 100% of teachers would have the programme back next year
This year, 4 MP’s visited the programme in their constituencies.
Comments are closed.
Sign up to become a partner or log in to manage your Partner profile
Find out how you can use the Change4Life brand